About Me

My photo
I've described my faith life as like one of those funnel gadgets, being raised in the extremely narrow end of fundamentalism, then moving into the gradually widening scope of the evangelical, through orthodox Reformed theology, and now probably more progressive. My journey is bringing me to become more human, more incarnated and more a citizen of the Kindom of God in the world God loves.

Monday, October 28, 2019

When We Sing, We Pray Twice! 10/27/19 (Reformation)


Rev. Dr. Rebecca L. Kiser
When We Sing, We Pray Twice!
Oct. 27, 2019   Reformation Sunday - Celebrating Congregational Singing

            The phrase I used for the title here is attributed to St. Augustine, from back in the 4th century - that’s the 300’s!!!  - whose writings about Christianity have survived and been kept.  Even though the music of that era sounds pretty different to our modern ears, evidently it spoke to their hearts and emotions like our music does to ours.  Good words can move us on a deep level, too, and not just on the linear and logical level - they can stir us up and capture our feelings.  Joined with music, which has its own appeal to a different part of our human nature, the result can be powerful.  People seem to remember music in a different part of the brain, and even the words set to that music can endure brain damage and some dementia. Music, with its beats and rhythms, stirs us as human creatures, kind of like we might say heart level instead of head level?  Or right brain instead of left brain?  So St. Augustine realized that singing a prayer prayed on two levels at once.  Or worships at two levels at the same time. 
            I know that certain tunes can bring up whole memories, and bring tears from that time, too.  Other tunes can make my arms want to lift in praise.  Some tunes make us want to march joyfully, some make us know the bad guys are creeping up…. or that true love is blossoming. When the right music is found for the right words, it connects parts of us together in ways that we haven’t done - and speaks deeply to our souls.  Music comes from the whole person, and we bring our whole selves to God that way. 
            Evidently in the earliest churches, based on the worship at Jewish synagogues, people sang together in, as the Bible puts it, “songs, hymns and spiritual songs.” I don’t know what they sounded like.  Music that got written down was often just sung by an appointed cantor, or was learned by the monks who sang the Psalms to various tones.  Of course people have always made music with instruments and voices, I just am not sure how much people who attended worship sang together before the Reformation.   Martin Luther was  a German priest whose hopes for reforming what he saw as poor practices in the church he served, ended up excommunicated from the Roman church; and attracting the attention of other church folks, they started their own branch of Christian practice.  One of the sayings he’s known for is, “Why should the devil have all the good music?”  He wrote Christian words to the tunes of bar songs so folks could sing them with vigor. The Reformation is credited with reinventing and revitalizing congregational singing.
Its obvious that the sounds and styles of music changed over the decades and centuries.  So we really shouldn’t be surprised that even in recent years church music continues to change with the various influences of musical styles.  After all, the hymns we might call traditional and think of as suitable church music, were once a new style to earlier people,m and probably looked at askance and questioned if it belonged in church at all.  Music is just a medium, a powerful medium of course; and any style of music can carry the words and experience of faithful people.   When I was a teenager, churches were aghast at rock ‘n roll, and at the way Elvis had brought the sounds of black gospel music into white people’s repertoire.  Now a lot of the Christian music I sang at Christian coffee houses to the accompaniment of 12-string guitarists, is in our hymnals and sung by those like me who are now in their 60s. My parents and my church wondered if it was right to sing about God to rock beats and if guitars should be in church.   In seminary, I read books advising about “the Worship Wars,”  when congregations were fighting and splitting over “contemporary music.” 
That’s a lose-lose situation for a congregation….   Any music can become the carrier of the faith message, and resisting the newer sounds only alienates the coming generations.  I know those of us who are older still love the sounds from our own youth, the sounds we associate with warm memories and experiences of faith back then.  And we know the melodies better.  Its counter-productive, however, to expect the younger generations to groove to what we did.  We can’t freeze time, and we can’t freeze music.  God and the gospel are new every moment, always current.  If we’re smart and forward looking, we will embrace the music that calls and speaks to the upcoming leaders and members as well as the music that still speaks to us.  Musicians are continuously writing new expressions of Christian faith and life.  New hymnals and songbooks from our denominations  seek out good new music to include in the new hymnals being published.  
I mean, even as a child I realized the words to the church songs we sang on Sundays weren’t written in the way people spoke today.  I learned them anyway, and could listen well-enough to get what they were expressing.  I have many fond memories of those songs, even while I was interested in the guitar songs of the coffee house that sounded more like me.  I’ve ended up liking almost any style of music as long as its well-written.  I do miss a congregation that could sing parts, where I could sing my alto and hear tenors, basses and sopranos in the various pews around me.  And I do miss the vigor of the congregational singing back then.  Presbytery meetings, now, and conferences - that’s where I hear that sound again.  When I have an opportunity to sing in a congregation nowadays, people sing more quietly and privately.  It feels different.  Maybe we look more towards the professionals than we used to, I don’t know.  People certainly don’t sing on front porches and around pianos like we used to.  I miss that.  So I enjoy the singing at VBS, and the way the newer styles of music are being used, and the kids jump in. 
This morning we’re going to sing a variety of music, and our choir is seated up front here to help lead us.  I encourage us to sing out, enjoy the music, listen to the words, be a part of the congregational singing. And appreciate the praise that is sent to God on our voices.  AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment