About Me

My photo
I've described my faith life as like one of those funnel gadgets, being raised in the extremely narrow end of fundamentalism, then moving into the gradually widening scope of the evangelical, through orthodox Reformed theology, and now probably more progressive. My journey is bringing me to become more human, more incarnated and more a citizen of the Kindom of God in the world God loves.

Monday, August 5, 2019

On Setting Out Not Knowing - Getting to Know each Other 8/4/129


ON SETTING OUT NOT KNOWING – GETTING TO KNOW ME!
1ST Sermon at Jamesville Community Church
8/4/19

Hi, Jamesville congregation!  I’m pleased that God saw fit to have your search committee and I find each other.  This is the first time in my pastoring life that a search committee approached my instead of me approaching them first!  I’d been asking God why this happened to other clergy and not me - usually I have to read forms and inquire, and read more forms and inquire - the way your search committee contacted me felt real nice. We seemed to click right away, which also felt good.  They’ve been real helpful in telling me about this congregation, how you do things, and some of your history.
I know that you are grieving (as well as celebrating) the retirement of your previous pastor, who ministered here for 22 years.  The length of his service here points out how well you got along, and I’ve heard many good things about his ministry here.  This kind of stability is good for a congregation.
It also means that a new pastor is a big change... There might be some anxiety about what’s going to happen next and who the next pastor will be and what she or he will be like.  It looks to me like your leadership folks have stepped up and begun taking care of things, searching for an Interim pastor (me); keeping VBS going and such.  That’s good! And the Presbyterians have specialized training for Interim pastors, and steps to move forward that have been helpful for other congregations.  It was insightful of your leadership to choose this Interim process after a long pastorate.  It takes a while to say goodbye; and like any grieving, it takes a while to look again to the future.
My overall goal is to begin by learning how you are used to doing things, so your comfort level doesn’t get totally messed up.  For a while, just me being up here and not Rev Mark is enough of a visual change!  I might be around his same age group, but I’m not his gender!  Another goal is to be sharing parts of my story so I’m not such a stranger, and sharing something about this journey that we’ll be on for the next year or so.  . 
Let me tell a story – I like stories.  Some years back, I was the Hunger Action Coordinator for the Presbytery of Eastern VA, and  I shared an office with a man from Congo, who coordinated mission between our presbytery and our partner churches in Congo.  Billy, a 17 yr old young man who was actually born in the US and therefore a citizen, was repatriated to the U.S. during some bad times when we closed our embassy in the Congo; and his parents sent him to my office partner, Mr. Bota-Tshiek.  I had a new house with an extra room, and Mr Tschik didn’t, so Billy came home with me for a few nights until a permanent place could be found for him.  A couple weeks later I had to become his guardian in order to put him in school.  He lived with us for his junior and senior year and then we helped him get into college; and now we’ve watched him get working, get married, and become a dad.  ANYWAY – Billy found comfort that first year with the exchange students - they shared the changes of being in America, speaking English & being away from the familiar.  However, come spring, they all went back home – and Billy didn’t. That’s when the reality of his new life set in for Billy, and he went through a rough time.  I read that somewhere around the end of the 1st year a person is in a new country, they bottom out; they realize the changes they’ve struggled to make are just the beginning, and that there’s still more subtle differences out there.  Depression and even suicide rise at that point for those who have changed country, especially if they are alone.
This process is common to all kinds of transitions.  There’s the initial change, then there’s dealing with it long term.  Feelings of disquiet, maybe even anger rise up – where are they from?  Often it’s the growing sense of how much is actually different now. So don ‘t be surprised at the feelings that might rise up as we go on – we will handle things together.
.
When I was buying my first house, my realtor told me in advance that there would be at least 3 times when I called him up in a panic, maybe crying; and I should remember that he forewarned me.  So one day I got agitating about all the extra papers I was being asked for re the mortgage, and I freaked out and called him up anxious and crying about if this was ever going to work.  Ah, yes….And how did he comfort me????  “Remember I told you about the 3 times? Well, this is #1.”  Believe it or not, that actually helped…I laughed, and then we proceeded to do what was needed.
I guess that’s my foretelling of our next era here – while we are working on plans and self-studies, there’s more going on under the surface, emotions that will bubble up out of us now and then in unexpected feelings and reactions.  Its part of the process.  Part of my task is to recognize it and remind us.

I chose to begin in our first worship together with the very basic story of our faith tradition, way back there with our ancestors Abraham and Sarah, who heard God say, “Get up and move to this place I’ll show you.”  And surprisingly, they did.  No Allied Van Lines, no U-Haul, no move coordinators – they packed up their tents, took their cattle and goats and whatever else they had in terms of critters, their herders and such, and in the end took a nephew’s group, too. And they all set out for a new land.  That journey starts in our first Scripture book, Genesis, which means “Beginnings.” Or, “How it all got started.” Our whole faith tradition starts with a big transition! A leaving, a setting out for a new place.  They left the familiar, the known, the usual, and took off - because God said to.  Its counted as faith, the letter to the Hebrews says – because they believed God, trusted God, and did what God directed.
Can you imagine the changes they must have encountered?  The way the Scriptures were recorded and remembered, not much is said about how people felt - just a bare recital of what happened.  We can tell the emotional toll, however, by some of the things that happen, the stories of grumbling and complained that Moses deals with, with God’s help.  Hundreds of years later, their progeny moved to Egypt and found refuge there in order to avoid a terrible famine.  Then more hundreds of years later, their progeny left Egypt led by Moses, still looking for that land of promise.  That’s the story called the Exodus, a major story of salvation for our Jewish sisters and brothers.  All kinds of changes fill our Scriptures!  Change happens.
I like the way its put, that they “set out not knowing” - not knowing what would happen, not knowing where this land of promise was, not knowing how God’s promises would ever be fulfilled, not knowing if they could handle everything… When I ponder that phrase, “to set out not knowing,” it seems to me that this is actually true of most anything we begin - we are always “setting out not knowing.”  Its a kind of archetypal experience of many things in our living.   I mean, how many of us went to college knowing what we’d be like at graduation?  Knowing how classes would change us, challenge us, broaden us?  And when we found that special someone and committed to them, how many of us knew or even anticipated everything that marriage was going to call for from us?  What we would learn?  What kind of situations we would encounter and weather?  And when we delighted over our babies, – did we even have a clue how that would change us?  When my daughter became pregnant with her first, I really didn’t know how to find the words to express the inner changes, the self-awareness, the challenges….  So many places in our lives we “set out not knowing.” 
Again, when we first profess our love for God and take those early steps in faith, it’s the same thing - we don’t know what God has in store for us, or where the Holy Spirit will actually take us.  We have to take the journey as it comes, listening to the Holy Spirit regularly, and continuing to trust that God is with us and upholds us.  I sometimes wonder what my 18-year-old self would make of who I am at 65, and what life and God have worked in me.  I never foresaw what my life would hold.   
Its the same with our transitions like this, when a pastor retires and we set out not knowing what or who or how - yet we know and trust God, who is with us.  We’ve had a nice settled time for quite a while. What’s going to happen? Will attendance stay good during the transition, or will people pull away until they see who comes?  Will giving stay good? Will VBS continue?  Will our council meetings be the same?  Will we know the hymns and songs she chooses?
We do have some choices in the matters – we can let the anxiety rule us, or we can trust in the process and in the good people around us.  We can decide to be faithful in our attendance and giving, and participate in the upcoming processes of discernment.  We can pitch in, in a good spirit, to keep things going, and communicate clearly with one another.  We can encourage and pray for our leadership.
We are now on a journey together, seeking out where God will lead us.  That’s actually true all the time, although its more overt at transitional times.  We’re actually adapting and tweaking changes all the time; although again its more overt at pastoral transitions. Unlike Abraham and Sarah, we do have a path of sorts, some signposts and steps; although our journey will be our own.  The covenant we made in my call to Jamesville Community Church named some of those signposts – they have names like Coming to Terms with History, Discovering a New Identity, Allowing New Leadership, and Renewing Denominational linkages.  There are known helpful ways of addressing each of these, and our colleagues in faith will be with us all the way.  Other congregations have been down this path, have been there and done that.  We will be okay.  And no matter what, God is always with us, guiding us, speaking to us, leading us to where we are supposed to go.  I was glad when Fred mentioned that my first Sunday with you would be communion - what better promise of love and fellowship and belonging is there as we set out?  AMEN.


No comments:

Post a Comment