About Me

My photo
I've described my faith life as like one of those funnel gadgets, being raised in the extremely narrow end of fundamentalism, then moving into the gradually widening scope of the evangelical, through orthodox Reformed theology, and now probably more progressive. My journey is bringing me to become more human, more incarnated and more a citizen of the Kindom of God in the world God loves.

Sunday, July 21, 2019

My Favorite Scriptures & Last Thoughts (at Indiantown Presbyterian Church) 7/21/19


MY FAVORITE SCRIPTURES & LAST THOUGHTS
Rev. Dr. Rebecca L. Kiser
July 21, 2019   Last Sermon at Indiantown Presbyterian Church

            I wanted our last Sunday together to be something rather different, so after some consideration, I decided to share some of my favorite prayers, songs and Scriptures today.                   
            At a presbytery meeting back in MO, I was tasked with presenting a man who was retiring, and I was to ask him one question before all his friends began to speak.  He looked a little nervous as I called him forward, but as I asked my question his face broke out in a big smile.  I asked him, “Is there a special Scripture that has stayed with you and been important in your spiritual life over the years? “  His answer was ready on his lips before I finished asking. 
I like to ask about people’s spiritual lives.  Sometimes I’ve asked new pastors moving into our presbyteries, when we get to ask questions,  What is something that their prayer life is working on in their hearts now?  See, I believe faith is a life-long journey, and there’s always something percolating, always as edge, always a growth happening.  And not just for preachers - for anyone with a vital spiritual life. 
So in hopes that it will spark some reflection in each of us here, I'm sharing some of my memories, and scriptures, that moved along my own faith journey with God.  In a recent article by Barbara Brown Taylor, she mentions a Sunday School song that captured her imagination as a young person, “Jesus loves the little children, all the children of the world.  Red, brown, yellow, black and white, they are precious in God’s sight.  Jesus loves the little children of the world.” She credits that song with giving a foundation for her anti-racism work as an adult.  See, sometimes certain teachings hit fertile soil; like Jesus’ parable, sometimes the seeds fall on good soil & stick with us.

Philippians 2:13    
If I were asked that same question as I asked that retiring man, my verse would be Philippians 2:13, where the apostle Paul tells those early disciples at Philippi that its God who is at work in them, enabling them to both will and to work for God’s good pleasure.  Its not a verse many people memorize, yet the Holy Spirit spoke to me as a teenager with those words, reassuring me that even the desire to do what God asks, even the will to do it, shows that God is alive and working in me - and in us.  See, I have always had almost impossibly high standards for myself.  What I took in from my home church was a fear-based faith, where God was watching and counting and ready to judge and punish.  Obedience was expected, and disobedience was punished.  I was determined to be a very good girl and avoid punishments, of which I was afraid, as it was often severe.  Yes, I heard the words about mercy and grace in church, but that only meant that God had provided a way for me to not go to hell, if I would accept it and live right.  I didn’t know much about forgiveness except it was necessary to go to heaven.  So I rather overdid things in the fearful  obedience quarter, searching out minutiae to follow punctiliously.  I was upset that I couldn’t keep all of my good intentions like praying constantly or even getting up early to have my devotion time.  I didn’t like everybody, either, although I tried to see the best in them.  So I was constantly tied up in knots of fear in my insides.  
Reading this verse, that said even the will to please God was evidence of God working in me, was so reassuring.  It was mercy and grace that God was okay with me even when my goals fell short of achievement.  It was forgiveness for when I thought I fell short.  I could relax and breathe.  When I later read about Martin Luther’s almost obsessive confession of minutiae, and the relief he found when the words hit him that salvation was given by grace through faith, I understood.  According to the story, he was mounting up steps to a shrine, and doing it on his knees, when the words hit him, and he stood up and went back down - no need for all the supererogatory works - salvation was by faith. (Although I do like the book of James, which Luther wanted removed from the Bible…)  
This verse remains among my most treasured Scriptures.  I still desire deep in my heart that my life be pleasing to God, and that I continue to learn to live in the kindom of God and show it to the world - and at the same time, its not fear-based, because I will fall short most of the time. 

Galatians 3:28

            I preached on Galatians 3:28 a few weeks ago, the Scripture where Paul waxes eloquent about how in Christ we are all new creations, and writes, “There is no longer Jew or Greek, there is no longer slave or free, there is no longer male and female; for all of you are one in Christ Jesus.”  Its a manifesto of the radical equality of worth of all people, in the eyes of God.  When we come to Christ and become a part of that new creation, that new body of Christ called the church, things that used to divide us disappear, as we are all now one in Christ Jesus.  Everyone counts, no type of person is higher or better or more important.  I spoke in that sermon about how this Scripture became the reason I found the courage to attend seminary, albeit I was provisional, telling myself that if these Presbyterians were too weird, and their theology too different, I could always leave.  Instead I felt like that ugly duckling in the story, who finally found her place, and rejoiced. 
            It was this scripture that the Holy Spirit used in my heart to make me realize how broad God’s love was, and how it encompassed the whole of humanity.  I mean, I’d always thought that God came for the world, I just never fleshed out what that might look like in dealing with different groups of peoples.  My home church sent mission workers around the world so other countries could hear about Jesus; it just never occurred to me that then they would be my equal.
            I grew up in and near Washington DC, and was there in the time of the Poor People’s campaign, and the angry riots that tore through town as repressed peoples began to feel their own anger at the injustices.  We got the Washington Post, and it was on our nightly news, when Martin Luther King Jr was shot, and later the Kennedys.   My parents and their friends were not overtly bigots, they just were okay with treating people differently if we were nice about it…. I guess my initial application of this scriptural equality was racism; then later I saw the implications were there also about genders.  My awareness of the radical extent of the apostle Paul’s vision was gradual; and the verse continues to be a cornerstone in my theological ponderings.

 

Hebrews 11:8-9

            The story of Abraham and Sarah being told by God to leave their land and go to a place God would show them is a story from way, way back in our faith ancestry.  Its what began the whole story of the Jewish people, with God’s covenants and promises, and deep metaphors of wandering in deserts, holy mountains, ten commandments, and Promised Land.  In the book of Hebrews, in chapter 11, which we call the “faith chapter,” Abraham and Sarah start the list of those who showed faith - “By faith Abraham (and Sarah - I always add her) obeyed when they were called to set out, not knowing where they were going.”  The writer of this letter to the Hebrews says that this obeying is the essence of faith - they believed God, and it was counted to them at righteousness.  Even thousands of years before Jesus. 
            One of my early sermons was titled “To Set Out Not Knowing,” because that phrase captivated me.  I imagined Abraham getting his household ready and leaving his homeland, going out into who knows what, just because God said to.  I mean, I like to know the destination, and I like maps - or, to be more up-to-date, I like gps and map apps.  I’ve eventually learned to like wandering, and surprises, and being more laid back, but I was an uptight young person - control was a big thing.  I like plans, and I like for them to work out.  Usually I had backup plans B and C as well.  It frustrated me no end when D or E happened, and I was not prepared.  One of my favorite lines in the movie Ordinary People was when the therapist says to the client, “Control is gonna cost you extra.”  Like his client, I didn’t like the way life could change with one phone call from the doctor, a knock on the door at night, an accident that could change the course of one’s life in a second.  I didn’t like the insecurity of feeling that I was not in charge, that my plans didn’t necessarily work, that things happen to people.  That we can do the right things, set everything up well, and BOOM - a hurricane blows through and my security disappears as the illusion it really was. 
            Because in life, we always “set out not knowing,” just like Abraham and Sarah.  Who knows at the start of college what is actually going to happen to us in those 4 years, and the different person we will be afterwards?  Who gets married knowing what the years will bring?  Who has kids knowing how its all going to turn out?  We might think we do, we might make plans and head certain directions, which is good, but they aren’t ever written in stone.
 None of us really know where our faith journey with God will take us, either.  Our assurance has to rest on the continuing presence of God despite what happens along the way.  Our trust has to be that God is with us, and will see us through.  I often try and picture my 18 year-old self meeting my 65 year-old self….. My 18 year old self would think I was a heathen, and pray for me with deep concern  to get right with God!  My early self simply could not imagine the path God has taken me on. 

Well, there are lots more Scriptures I could talk about, and I could go on at length, but we all want to get to the River Days party…. So I’ll close with Luke 1:38….

Luke 1:38
            Many of my clergywomen colleagues looked into the Bible for stories about women, and what is told of women in the history of our faith ancestors.  Most of us didn’t know what to do with the picture of Mary, a woman central to the gospel story of Jesus, because we’d grown up with a certain view of her in our patriarchal churches.  She was held up as the epitome of the subservient virgin, the “good” version of being female, versus the, ah I’ll choose the word 'promiscuous' and 'carnal' version of being female.  Girls were exhorted to be like Mary and not like those pushy feminists who were anti-family and godless.  All those negative projections thrown onto a woman who didn’t fit the subservient and virgin stereotype!    
Mary had to be re-examined with my new eyes.  I had an additional problem with Mary, as my upbringing was so virulently anti-Roman Catholic, where we were told people actually prayed to Mary! and other saints! as if she were God!  Clergywomen set out to rework our understanding of Mary, who had been interpreted to us out of a culture that wanted to prove its understanding of women as inferior, or who knew their place. 
One Christmas I decided to do a sermon about Mary, and the verse in Luke 1 changed my perception of her forever - she says to the angel, “Here am I, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word.” Suddenly I saw her deep and true faith, just like Abraham and Sarah’s faith, that she believed God and simply followed what God asked.  No fighting it, no wrestling with it, no trying to run away from it like the prophet Jonah, no despair over it like the prophet Elijah….  She simply accepted what God said, and dealt with the consequences.  Wow.  She seemed to summarize what I see as faith, to simply accept what God says, and live it.  Would that I could be as believing of what God says!  
There was a parishioner in my WI church named Mary, who was having babies at about the same time I was.  I confided some of my fears to her, about how I would handle it if my baby had problems.  She answered simply, “I figure if God gives me that to deal with, then God will also give me the grace to handle it.”  I was silenced; all my worrying and agitating at not being in control of all this was shown up by her faith.  Who was the minister here???  Its a foundational trust in God to be sufficient, to be present, to be for us.  Then while I was actually in labor with my son who was arriving rather early as far as due dates are concerned, Mary’s presence sat with me - both Marys. That night I learned why Mary has been so important to women through the ages - I thought, flippantly, “Mary did this in a barn.”  I thought more seriously, “I wonder if Mary worried that something might happen to her baby?” Childbirth has always carried risks for both mothers and babies.  I thought about the phrase, “when her time was fulfilled,” as a description of the onset of labor, and I thought about seminary profs trying to explain the difference between chronos time (ie clock & calendar time) and God’s kairos time - ie whenever, when the time is right…. They should’ve used the illustration of labor and delivery.  I wondered who my firstborn child would be and what he might do for the world.  Probably not a lot of women think about theology and scriptural words when they’re in labor…, but I bet we all think about these same issues. 
I’ve continued to like this Mary.  I’ve learned a lot from her.  

Isn’t it interesting how God continues to speak through Scriptures, and to all parts of our lives?  Isn’t it cool the way God’s Spirit makes these ancient Scriptures live again in our hearts?  These kinds of interactions with God through the Scriptures, these kinds of realizations and growths in our human lives - this is something that is available to each of us as we listen, read, ponder and seek.  Its among the ways God speaks to real life and continues to speak in each generation.  The journey of Christian faith is full of surprises, turns, illumination, and grace. As I leave you all here in Indiantown to go minister somewhere else, I leave with you my best prayers and hopes for a flourishing of your spirits and your life in Christ.  AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment