About Me

My photo
I've described my faith life as like one of those funnel gadgets, being raised in the extremely narrow end of fundamentalism, then moving into the gradually widening scope of the evangelical, through orthodox Reformed theology, and now probably more progressive. My journey is bringing me to become more human, more incarnated and more a citizen of the Kindom of God in the world God loves.

Monday, February 11, 2019

Metaphors of Boats and Fishing 2/10/19 Epiphany 5C


Rev. Dr. Rebecca L. Kiser
Metaphors of Boats and Fishing
2/10/2019     Epiphany 5C

The texts chosen for Epiphany are texts that show Jesus having powers that no one usually has - they show, him to be the Light of the world, the One sent from God.  Most of the gospel texts have Jesus shown doing miracles, where he illustrates his power of, and control of, material things - as the Creator of all that is, he can change it and direct it.  Jesus is revealed as Lord of all.  Again in this story today, Jesus can have the material world do his will - or else he knows things about the material world that are not evident to the rest of us.       
To get the full flavor of today’s text, let’s enter this story with our imaginations, and perhaps putting ourselves in to the scene as onlookers by the lake of Gennesaret.  You folks who like to go fishing, maybe you can tell us about the feel of the morning air, the smells by the lake as the heavy nets are hauled up on shore to be cleaned after a night of fishing.  You might also be able to tell us how it feels to have been out fishing for hours with no luck and no fish!  Now, we might fish more for sport, or for a great fish fry that noon.  These guys, though, fished for a living, and their nets could bring in a great haul to be sold, eaten right away, dried - fishing was their livelihood and the way they fed their families.
Anyway, these guys Jesus knows are tired after a night of throwing those heavy nets and hauling them in, even when they’re empty.  Now they are cleaning up their equipment and getting ready to either sleep or go on with their day.  And here is Jesus, with crowds of local folks pressing on him, wanting to hear what he says or, hopefully, see him do something special.  In order to speak to the group, Jesus asks Peter if he can take him out from shore a little bit, and he’ll speak from the boat.  And it will give him some breathing room, perhaps. 
So Peter is a good sport, and takes Jesus out from the shore a bit, so folks can see him and hear him better…..maybe we join them sitting on the shore to listen better.  So Jesus sits in the boat and talks to us all for a while.  At some point, then, Jesus tells Peter to take the boat out further to the deep water, and do his thing with the nets again.  I can imagine Peter shaking his head and rolling his tired shoulders a bit, they’ve already had a bad night fishing, cleaned the nets up, and Jesus wants them to do it again!  Sheesh!  Oh well, since you say so, master, we will. 
Now I don’t know if Jesus made the fish come to the boat by his divine power, or if by his divine insight he knew somehow that the fish were there, - but what happened is that those nets were so full that Peter yelled for help from a second boat, and the net were straining, and both boats were almost swamped by the catch. 
The men were shocked and impressed - how did Jesus do it?  This isn't normal.  I like what Peter says - “Go away from me Lord, for I am a man of unclean lips.”  Peter is scared to even be in Jesus’ presence; he is totally awed by the revelation of Jesus’ miraculous ability. What does Jesus say ?  He says, “Fear not.”  Hey Peter, its me, Jesus.
Can we imagine Peter and Jesus looking at each other on that boat, after this happens?  Jesus is just a guy like Peter - a man, a human, who eats and talks and walks and does other things humans do.  But then he does things like this, too.  We might all kinda look at him funny, and wonder who in the world he is and what in the world is going on here.
And of course Jesus makes a metaphor out of it, and tells Peter & the others that he is now going to make them fish for people...ie, help Jesus bring people into the new life of the realm of God.  Which is what he tells them again in what we call the Great Commission - go and make disciples, and teach them what I’ve taught you.  Fascinating story.

Boats are a long-used symbol of the church of Jesus Christ, going way back to also use the Ark as a symbol of deliverance and salvation.  The sea can be a dangerous place, and fishing is not a spectator sport - the workers in the boat have to work together in order to not sink, and to get a catch.  The church was seen as that boat that transported souls across the dangers of the world to finally reach the safe port of heaven. Making our pilgrimage through life, the soul’s journey - all of these were pictured in the sailboat. The masts, too, form a kind of cross.  The boat with a sail was used on signet rings of church leaders, stylized in stained glass windows and religious paintings.  There’s a style of church architecture where the inside ceiling looks a boat, too - the chapel at my seminary is that style, and the windows behind the cross are watercolors, blues and greens.    
A recent General Assembly Moderator, the Rev. Joan Gray, uses the illustration of boats to talk about our identity as churches. She proposes the rowboat style church, over against the sailboat type church. In the rowboat church, folks think the church is moved by their hard work - Jesus has given us the call and the abilities, and now its all up to us and our hard work. These folks row hard, put their backs into it, working all kinds of programs and things, harder and harder, and wonder why few come and join. Its like those fishermen working all night and not catching anything.  These folks read the books about church growth and seek to be realistic about what they can do with their donations and their limits. Their fishing is by the book, following all the best advice.  
Countering this is the sailboat church, whose people also can work hard; the difference is the wind of the Holy Spirit that fills the sail and moves them where God wants the church to go.  These folks bathe their seeking for directions and purposes in prayer, and know that it is God who brings the fish to the nets, or directs them to throw their nets where God knows the fish are. Their trust is in the call of God, and their relationship with God, and not limited by what they can see and touch right now in terms of material goods and finances.  After all, the church is Christ’s, and the work of the church is ultimately God’s work, and God will provide.
 In a similar picture of the church we read in 1 Corinthians a couple weeks ago, the church is a body working together; we are the hands and feet and arms and shoulders and knees and toes and so on, and Christ is the head.  Together, the head (Christ) directs us what to do and where to go, and we do it.  In another illustration Jesus used, we are the branches growing out of the main vine stem - we have to be connected; its the sap that comes from the vine that goes out to the branches to bear fruit.  These are images of connection and working together; and in all the images, Christ is the vine, Christ is the head, Christ is the source, Christ is the sustenance.  It is in being related to Christ, embedded in Christ, fed by Christ, enlivened by Christ, that we complete Christ’s work, bear fruit, or catch fish.  We don’t go off on our own, we don’t make up our own agenda, we don’t decide to bear fruit all by ourselves.
Peter’s attitude needs to be our attitude:  Well, I’m not at all sure about this, Jesus, but since you said it, we’ll do it.  And then, like Peter, we follow Christ’s directives and are amazed. 
There seem to be a couple main parts to this: we have to be connected to Christ, and we have to listen to what Christ says, trust it & do it.  Last Sunday we spoke about our own relationships with God, and how this is primary for being the church.  Its kind of a “duh” thing - how can we be Christ’s church without being joined to Christ?  So we examine our own lives and ask,  ‘What shape is my own faith life in?’  I know we are all concerned about the future of our church and the whole church.  Are we wrestling with our longings for the church in our prayers?  Are we pinning our hopes on calling the right pastor who will have all the answers (which, by the way, is not true)?  Are we immersed in Scriptures for forming our own actions?  Does the Spirit of God challenge us and nudge us deeper and deeper into faith?  Faith isn’t just being able to win at Bible Trivia night, knowing the names and details - rather it is the living Spirit that reaches out to us through these stories of faith, and calls us further in.
 
A big question that might arise is, How do we hear what Christ is saying, so we can follow it?  How do we know the voice of God? How does that work? Peter sat next to the physical Jesus on a boat and heard actual words and directions. I don’t know about you all, but that has not been my usual experience.  So I sat and pondered what my usual experience was, trying to find words for what has been, for me, a more experiential, intuitive thing and not so defined. I realized that, again, that it starts in my prayer. 
My usual style of prayer is deliberately talking things over with God - laying out what I’m feeling or wanting or worried about, in God’s presence. The way God talks back is in making me question myself - well, that’s not very noble, Becky, is it? Who are you protecting with that?  Why do you need more visible proof?  I talk to God about anything - for my kids, for direction in my life, for company and a relationship, what God wants me to say in my sermons, taking care of my bodily health - - anything.
Let’s take, for example, praying for the church here.  I think God helps me refine and hone just what my hopes and longings really are.  I’d love for the church to have more people - I mean more worshippers, I mean more believers, I mean more people seeking to live for Christ.  I mean genuinely seeking, not just bodies and not just wallets.  See how that became more specific as I went along?  I’d love for the church to reach more beyond the walls here and find mission to do in the community. We do some, sure.  And we are a loving community to each other- don’;t want to lose that.  But I do think we’re so worried about the future that we’ve kinda pulled in to ourselves.  And we’ll have to get to know our community and its needs.  Obviously Williamsburg County has needy people - we have poverty, we have children, our school system has problems, we have elderly - the community is changing, shrinking?  I don’t know.  But people need the joy of God, and despite the number of churches, there are lots of folks who haven’t found meaning in it.  Where do we start?  Its almost overwhelming, God…I pray that you lay things on our hearts and directs us where the fish are.  I pray we listen and respond.  I pray for people who are brave enough to speak up and say what’s on their hearts.  I pray we leaders listen and say yes. 
Do you hear how that evolves as I pray? To me, that’s the Spirit of God challenging me,
leading me in certain directions, and nudging my consciousness. In talking over what I think I am longing for -which I think comes to my heart from the spirit in the first place, - God kind of helps me distill what it is that my longing is actually for.  Its not a quickie prayer, God bless our church, AMEN.  This takes some intention and some time.
And then, in  my awareness of things from prayer, I seem to be more aware of ideas that spark from conversations, or my eyes see a possibility that I missed before, or someone tells me about something that relates, or something seems to connect with my remembrance of my prayers. Sometimes it excites me and sometimes it scares me.  It seems to me that my job then is to pursue what comes to me, because my praying has been just for that!  Some doors shut, some open further.  If I’m looking at what happens through the eyes of God leading and guiding me, I’m listening to God and seeing what comes.
I remember when Billy was still in high school and wanted to get a job, I advised him to gather his info and go fill out applications in all sorts of places.  He got called back here and there but he wasn’t excited by them, and I think he went to interviews with that bottom lip out, and not showing his sparkling self….so he didn’t get any offers.  Then one day a friend told him that the theater was hiring folks to check coats and sell stuff at intermission, and he got the job.  Billy came to me and said, See Mom, I didn’t have to do all that application stuff after all! God got me a job. I said, Doing all that application stuff made your ears open to possibilities that might have gone past your ears otherwise.  You were ready for God then.
Its doing all that prayer stuff, all that talking with God stuff, that makes our eyes and ears open when God speaks.  Prayer sensitizes our awareness so that when someone mentions an idea, there is soil in which it can take root.  I think that’s the best way I can explain it.  When a nudge comes, when a possibility opens, I am ready.  
So the feeling has been growing in me that we need to pray more deeply and pointedly about our church’s future.  The invitation is for each of us to spend time daily before God this coming week, letting God hone our intentions and distill out true longings. Before we do more talking together, we need to bring our hopes and fears before God by ourselves. This is serious stuff, this listening for Christ’s leading.  Church is changing - God is the One who knows what is coming, and who directs it.  Perhaps what God needs is for us believers to get on our knees and ask direction. Trusting to the wind of the Spirit to guide us does make us give up a bit of control. Its not by our smarts, but by God’s leading that we go forward.  We’re going to take several minutes and pass out little cards about making our intention concrete. I don’t need your name - if you are moved to do this, put one card in the offering, and put the another in your wallet for a reminder. At Session this afternoon, we will give thanks for the results.  AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment