About Me

My photo
I've described my faith life as like one of those funnel gadgets, being raised in the extremely narrow end of fundamentalism, then moving into the gradually widening scope of the evangelical, through orthodox Reformed theology, and now probably more progressive. My journey is bringing me to become more human, more incarnated and more a citizen of the Kindom of God in the world God loves.

Monday, July 6, 2020

Taking on Jesus' Yoke 7/5/20 Pentecost 5A

 

Rev. Dr. Rebecca L. Kiser
TAKING ON JESUS' YOKE
7/5/2020    Pentecost 5A

I have always loved desserts - and other things, too, of course - deviled eggs, for one thing...watermelon for another.  Good 4th of July picnic foods!  My Mom often told a story on me, that one time she said, What do you want for dessert, Becky?  There’s cake, jello and ice cream - and I answered, some of each!  And she always told how I defended myself  - that the ice cream melts and runs around everything else in my stomach, so I’m never too full for ice cream!  Our favorite was Daddy’s homemade ice cream, and on holidays like the 4th of July, we would gather at my Aunt Ginny’s place on the river, and take turns churning that old thing until it got too hard for us.  After dark we played with sparklers; then when it was good and dark, the parents would set off fountains and rockets, while the mosquitos had their dinner on our legs and arms. 

Mom gave me mixed signals about enjoying desserts.  At one moment she’d tell me I was going to be fat if I ate those desserts; the next moment she’d be asking in a criticizing voice, Why didn’t you try your Aunt’s banana bread or your sister’s brownies? They worked hard on them!  There was no way to please her - I got negative comments if I ate, and negative comments if I didn’t.  Another conflicting message was about school work - she complained that I wasn’t popular enough because I worked on stuff too hard, then turned around and asked why I got a B+ instead of an A. 

That’s what I thought about when I read the beginning of this passage in Matthew 11 - people discounted John the Baptizer because he was so ascetic - living in the desert and eating locust and wild honey, wearing skins….then they discounted Jesus because he ate and drank with sinners!  There’s just no pleasing some people!  We are inconsistent with our expectations and there’s always something to criticize - especially if we don’t want to hear what they are saying anyway. Discount the person, discount their message.  And we all grow up with these kinds of inherited patterns or mixed messages and ambiguities and the resulting neuroses of one kind or another.  In times of stress, these things come out more in us, too.

We’re certainly in a continuing time of stress right now - I saw where a person coined the term “Covid exhaustion” to explain how, even though the immediate crisis and changes are past, it’s hanging around so long that we’re getting exhausted. Unfortunately, it's going to hang around longer.  People are already showing their inability to cope with ongoing stress - wanting to get back to how we were, to quit thinking about the dangers and quit following the precautions. Did you read about those reckless folks throwing covid parties, where an infected person attends, everyone buys a ticket to come to an event with them, and the first one to get  sick wins the pot from the ticket sales???  The other day on a Zoom meeting, the leader asked us how we were doing now that its 3 ½ months down the road - I think we all said a mix of okay days and hard days.  The stress is real and unrelenting, and it adds up.

Most people find it difficult to deal with frustration and negative feelings - and not just with this current crisis.  One of the texts also assigned for today was in the Apostle Paul's letter to the Roman believers, where he talks about how miserable he gets, because the good things he wants to do get sidetracked by this other part of himself that wants to do just the opposite!  I know that experience - like I can look at desserts and know they’re going to throw my blood sugar off….but...but...don’t I deserve a treat for being good all day yesterday?  The stress of fighting that battle daily gets to me after a while, and I find myself pacing the  floor and agitating and opening cupboard doors until I give in and have something that soothes me.  Yes, struggles with all addictions are like that - and worse, when there’s a physical addiction as well. 

We fear feeling our fear; we fear recognizing that we’re not in control.  We fear the feeling that we can’t fix things, like the Covid crisis.  So we fuss, we get polarized, we attack one another, all kinds of stress behavior - because we’re uncomfortable and things aren’t the same.  We don’t mean to be snippy - it just happens.  We don’t mean to be jealous - it just happens. Like Paul, we want to be kind and understanding, we just can’t.   Do you remember that old cartoon picture of the guy with an angel speaking in one ear, and a devil speaking to the other ear? We all know what that’s like.  We are fallible and sometimes broken, we can’t fix the world; and the words of Jesus offering us rest from the burdens of life fall as grace on our ears. 

I had to think about what kind of “rest” Jesus was talking about, because I have to say that I haven’t found that taking on the way of Jesus, the spiritual journey of following Christ, to be easy.   Jesus' words sound easy  - believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved…that doesn’t sound too difficult; love one another as I have loved you…that doesn’t seem too onerous;....be kind to one another…I can do that, with some thought.  Yet when we start to try and do them, it opens up a can or worms in our insides…I don’t want to be kind to this or that person; why do I have to love people I find stupid?  Like the man says to Jesus, “lord, I believe - and help my unbelief.’

 Jesus says that his yoke is easy, and the burden is light.  One of the intertestamental books, continuing the horse metaphor, says that God’s reins are but purple ribbons - another image of the lightness of God’s touch.  Yoke is an interesting word - it’s actually got a connection to the word yoga.  Evidently yoking one horse to another was a way to teach it discipline; so the 4 yogas in Hinduism were ways to discipline our minds and bodies towards seeking enlightenment.  I enjoy thinking that Jesus was saying, Take my yoga on, be yoked with me, learn from me, be trained with me, follow my path, my way to God and salvation.  We might remember that early followers of Christ called themselves followers of The Way - the way of Christ.  Christianity isn’t a set of doctrines to memorize so we get an A on the systematic theology test; Christianity is a path to God, a way of living that is intended to bring us into relationship with God, train us, teach us discipline (in a good way), reveal insight and wisdom to us as we deal with our inconsistencies and broken places.  We begin to be humbled as we see our common human predicament, and we begin to understand and empathize with the sufferings of others.  We become more human; and at the same time more Christ-like. Christianity is more a journey of living into an awareness of God that permeates our whole being and lifetime.  Scripture calls it the transforming of our heart, a transformation from the inside out. Jesus calls it gentle and mild and easy; it can certainly be rigorous, though - it is, however, taken because God loves us, and our love for God grows, too.  So it's not a harshness or a mean-spiritedness, a following of rules out of fear. 

It reminds me of that ancient general Namaan, who came seeking the great prophet Elijah in order to be healed of leprosy.  He came with a huge entourage and lots of gifts, ready to undertake a quest or pay all he had - and Elijah doesn’t even come out to see him, but says, go wash in the Jordan River.  Namaan is insulted - it's too easy - there were rivers in his own country that were bigger and better.  So he’s actually going away, giving up on being healed because he feels insulted!  A servant challenges his pride, so eventually he obeys the prophet - and is healed.  Almost, almost, his issues with pride and status kept him from being healed.  We start to do those “easy” things and it ends up making us deal with our own issues….hmmm….

We are called by Jesus to take on his way, his yoke or yoga - and find a soulful rest; we are called to find a restored relationship to God, to creation, and to one another; which is what we’re meant to be and do. God calls us to be an authentic human, made in God’s image; Jesus offers to bring us into that unitive place of oneness with God and all creation that our soul longs for, our true home, our true freedom. 

The celebration of communion today is so appropriate, isn’t it?  The traditional outline of the sacrament tells us that we gather around this table with believers from all times and all places; each other here, those who went before us, and those who will come later; and with all of God.  We are all one, and all dependent on God.  We take our sacred elements from God’s creation - bread and cup, matter and spirit, male and female, all divisions overcome in our greater unity; a wholeness;... we are fed physically and spiritually, nurtured by our loving God.  One day I’ll write a sermon about communion and go into all this much more - it’s a wonderful sacrament, holy and beautiful - and also so basic.    

Let’s prepare our hearts now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment