About Me

My photo
I've described my faith life as like one of those funnel gadgets, being raised in the extremely narrow end of fundamentalism, then moving into the gradually widening scope of the evangelical, through orthodox Reformed theology, and now probably more progressive. My journey is bringing me to become more human, more incarnated and more a citizen of the Kindom of God in the world God loves.

Monday, March 2, 2020

Temptations: Seeking Worth in All the Wrong Places Lent 1-A


The Rev. Dr. Rebecca L. Kiser
Temptations:  Seeking Worth in All the Wrong Places
Mar 1, 2020    Lent 1A

Welcome to the first Sunday in Lent. 
These weeks leading up to Holy Week are traditionally a time of introspection, prayer, confession, examination of our spiritual commitments to God, and pondering the obedience and self-giving of Jesus our Christ.  Traditionally, it’s been a time of taking on a sacrifice ourselves- a partial fast, or giving up something to experience perhaps just a little of what Jesus experienced in the desert.  Jesus’ time in the desert reminds me of the Native American Vision Quest, where a person goes to a deserted place to fast and pray some days, seeking a vision to guide them.   I’ve seen pictures from Native American artists showing Christ on a vision quest, with prayer flags, dream catcher and sage.   It's interesting that Buddhism also has Sidhartta Gautama enduring three similar temptations as he sat under the bodhi tree, before he found enlightenment and became the Buddha.  There’s some good articles online about that if you want to look them up. 
According to our Holy Writings, God’s Spirit leads Jesus into this wilderness experience between his baptism and the beginning of his ministry.  It's this time of testing that gives Jesus the strength of his call, this vision of who he is and what he’s to do, and the strength to endure and understand.
I see a theme of temptation in the Scriptures of the next weeks, so we will be looking at those things that can derail our spiritual lives in the next weeks.  So today let’s look and ponder together the nature of those temptations or tests that Jesus faced. Like much Scripture, they sound literal, but when we think of them, they become something much deeper.
 Jesus’ first temptation, that of making bread when he was obviously very hungry, represents the way bodily desires, although good and made by God, can also get in the way of seeking the spiritual life; especially when seeking them becomes our purpose instead of seeking God. These material things become our security instead of security in God; we mistake our security and worth as found in these things rather than finding our security and worth in God.  We wouldn’t have to be total hedonists to have bought into the idea that the meaning of life is found money and things, or to mistake the seeking of these things to replace the seeking of God.
Social scientists tell us that commercials have changed in the last decades, from telling us that their product is good & better than other products, to telling us our lives will be fulfilled & meaningful with their product.  They’re not so much selling us a reliable car and good service, as they are selling us a view of ourselves as cool and slick and a babe magnet if we buy their car.  They don’t so much sell us a floor cleaner that gets up the crud in the cracks and corners, as they do sell us a view of ourselves as a competent and attractive woman who uses their product and has a full life, a nice house, nice clothes, a handsome spouse and cute kids.  Otherwise we are empty losers at life, and insignificant in the universe. 
What????   And people buy it!!!  That using x or y product will fill our deep spiritual desire for worth, meaning and value.  If we think about it, we know we can’t ever satisfy spiritual hungers with material goods.  Affluence is not the answer to spiritual desires.  But it’s all around us and we sink into this way of thinking rather unconsciously.  It's an easy answer, more alluring than the discipline of a spiritual journey.  A writer I admire went so far as to call malls our new American temples, where we gather and do things together, and give our money - in hopes that we will be seen as worthy and our lives seen as important and good.  It sounds ridiculous when I put it like this, doesn’t it?  Yet, yet, how much does that cool new gadget or bigger TV or updated computer or a new “look” in clothing, or a bigger car or house - how much have these things taken over our brains and desires, our use of money?  Even if we have to go into debt?  Advertisers are good at manipulating us - it works- it sells. 
My personal opinion is that the lure of affluence is a major failing in America. I think it has sidetracked our culture, and led to a wider gap between the haves and the have nots, and made it almost a moral or ethical sin to be poor.  It sidetracks much of our spiritual desire for God.  Not that good food and good relationships are bad, not that hoping for a good family and nice things is bad - God’s creation is good. It's just not the answer to a spiritual need, and it’s not a substitute for seeking God. 
The second temptation Jesus faces, testing God by throwing himself off a high place and forcing God to catch him, is harder to parse for me.  It has something to do with a rather simplistic and “proof-texting” use of Scripture, like You said the angels would catch me, so prove it!  Testing God, and with a simplistic understanding of Scripture.  Perhaps, even more, trying to manipulate God. 
One of my fave stories on my daughter is from when she was 3 or 4, and learning her powers.  She came up to me and began stroking my hair, telling me I’m such a good mommy, the best mommy, and so pretty, such nice hair.  So now can she have  roller blades?  I broke up laughing  - she was SO obvious in her manipulation. She got better as she got older….trying to make me do what she wanted, especially as a way to see if I loved her more than the boys. Everything was a test.  Who did I love most?  I worked to make her know how much she was loved and to trust my love - and I resisted the attempts to manipulate me.  If she didn’t trust my love, I couldn’t prove it.  And my love for her didn’t mean I would always do what she wanted. 
I wonder if this temptation isn’t a similar thing between us and God. The Tempter says to Jesus, IF you are the son of God, make God do what this Scripture says for you!  Jesus evidently sees through the ruse, and refuses to test God’s love, or his own worth to God.  Jesus rests securely in the knowledge of God’ love without framing it as a test and a manipulation.  We can fall into that, though - it’s subtle.  I prayed for a bike and didn’t get it - I’m not important to God like my friend who DID get a bike.  We all went snowboarding - why was I the one that hit a tree and have to recover for years? I prayed for my dad to live and he died - my friend’s dad recovered from his cancer - God must love him more, and not love me.  I prayed to get that job and didn’t.  And they hired a jerk - I was better than him!  Where was God’s justice?    Like we are insecure in God’s love unless we can cause God to do what we want. Like my daughter eventually grew into a more mature understanding of my love, we also have to wrestle with our misunderstanding of God’s love until we rest in it like Jesus did.
We Christ-followers are not immune to having things happen to us.  I had two infants who were born very ill - I prayed for them both - one died, one lived.  God was with me during my grief and anger over the loss, through the pain in my family.  I asked God some hard questions at the time, yet God didn’t leave me.  We came through it - yes I was changed, more insightful, it took a lot of wrestling, and good friends to hear me out.   
Jesus’ third temptation was the temptation of the power to make the world as he wanted it, with his own influence and power over people and events. The temptation to be a dictator, to establish a powerful kingdom that could wipe out those who disagreed, the power perhaps of outlawing any dissenting voice or calling it fake news. Taking away individual’s rights and choices, repressing whole populations who disagree. Political power, military power, power over - power over whatever and whoever.  It’s interesting that the Tempter can promise to give this to Jesus, IF Jesus turns aside from what he knows of God  and follows after the ways of the Tempter; instead of following the way of love, which is the way of God.  Carl Jung and others after him have said that the will to power is the opposite of love.  Not hate, but the will to power, power-over.  It reminds me of the saying that power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. 
Seeking to live according to God’s power of love has so much less of the ego in it, so much less of the recognition and acclaim. The power of love sets aside the ego.  God’s power of love, that Jesus lived into, is shown in this communion meal we partook earlier - a willingness to set aside and not be fooled by the shallower promises of affluence, power or manipulation.  God’s power is love, and a love that is willing to lay down its life for a friend.  A love that trusts, that knows its own worth, that willingly places its faith in God’s hands no matter what happens.  A love that doesn’t insist on its own way, a love that never loses hope. 
Nobody ever said that faith was for sissies.  Living according to God, living in faith and trust, demands a wrestling and a struggle with temptations that are sometimes overt, yet often subtle.   We can fool ourselves so easily; it takes great strength and courage to rightly examine our motives and incentives, and still choose the way of God.  May the Spirit of God fill us and move us as we seek to live ever more in faith.  AMEN. 

No comments:

Post a Comment