About Me

My photo
I've described my faith life as like one of those funnel gadgets, being raised in the extremely narrow end of fundamentalism, then moving into the gradually widening scope of the evangelical, through orthodox Reformed theology, and now probably more progressive. My journey is bringing me to become more human, more incarnated and more a citizen of the Kindom of God in the world God loves.

Monday, June 24, 2019

Being In Christ is a Different Thing 6/23/19 Pentecost 2C


the Rev. Dr. Rebecca L. Kiser
Being In Christ is a Different Thing
 6/23/19  Pentecost 2C

Wow, this is another Sunday where I want to preach on each of the texts!  Over the years, I’ve explored each of these texts, and even memorized portions.  Songs have been written on the Psalms text, about our souls longing for God like a deer for water, and the phrase “deep calls to deep” is one I quote.  I actually had a meditation published on the 1 Kings 9 text, about Elijah lying discouraged under the broom tree, then hearing that “still, small voice of God” in the silence.  Luke 8 is the memorable story of the man with so many demons in him that they tell Jesus their name is Legion, and when Jesus casts them out of the man and into a herd of pigs, the whole herd commits suicide. 
Yet its the Galatians text that holds what may be my favorite verse, or at least among my top couple  - Galatians 3:28:  There is no longer Jew or Greek, there is no longer slave or free, there is no longer male and female; for all of you are one in Christ Jesus. This is the verse that taught me of the radical inclusion of Christ’s kindom; that gave me a glimpse of the wonder of the diversity included in God’s love and creation.  And this is the verse that, for a 22 year old young woman raised in very conservative Christianity where women were captive in a patriarchal system based  more on culture and habit that outlined what a woman’s sphere was and was not - for this young woman who loved Jesus, Jesus’ church and the Scripture, this verse told me deep in my heart that yes, God could be calling me to the ministry.  Because in the realm of God divisions cease, male and female have nothing to do with our call, our gifts from the Spirit, and our service in ministry.  It was okay for me to go to seminary. While my love for God remained the same, the content of my faith changed as I let go of the rules taught me as a girl, and saw that this Scripture actually challenged those rules.  I realized the way my ministers had interpreted the Bible (although they would have denied interpreting and would have said they just read it literally) did not account for the vision and breadth of this verse, and was actually influenced by what they thought oughta be according to the culture they’d grown up in.  At that point, my faith in God went through a transformation that led me out of my home church, where no questions were allowed and no deviation from what the preacher said was allowed. I grew that day, and my experience of God grew, too. I realized that there were other ways of being a good Christian than the ways I had been taught, and that good people could interpret Scripture differently.  
Suddenly, I was curious and excited to learn some of those other ways faithful believers saw the Scriptures.  Before that, I had accepted that my preacher taught the only right way to be a Christian.  And that there was only one right way.  Since other people disagreed with my preacher, they had to be wrong, or be deceived or not praying right.  I was really good at arguing or debating with people that held other interpretations, because I knew lots of verses to quote that my preacher used.  I thought that as a Christian, I had to hold tightly to these rules the preacher taught, and get better at showing people where they were wrong.  Now, suddenly, all that dropped away - it wasn’t that I lost my faith, because this change seemed to be of God.  There was now a bigger way of faith to be explored, things I’d never heard or been exposed to.  I felt a little scared, but mostly excited.
Those kinds of transitions in my faith life have continued to happen periodically.  Usually its because a situation in my life doesn’t fit in the way I’ve organized my views of faith and God and life.  That transition I mentioned about Galatians 3:28 happened while I was grieving the death of my dad, and wondering why God took him while my sister and I were still young …and my dad was a good and faithful Christian, too.  I was struggling with how God let this death  happen to us.  There were also things going on in my home church that didn’t sit well with what I thought I’d been taught, and that was a struggle.  I was trying to understand these things in my rule-oriented legalism about God, and it was like trying to force a round object into a square hole - it wouldn’t go. Realizing there was much about God and faith that I didn’t know, I was free now to ponder in a bigger realm.
I had another transition in joining a Presbyterian Church, not staying with my Baptist upbringing.  Again when my 3rd child was born terminally ill, I wrestled with my understanding of God and bad things happening when I was trying so hard to do well.  My own health crisis 4 years ago, when cancer was found in my body after I’d had a terrible experience in a church  - that became a time of a faith transition  as God once again proved big enough to contain my questioning and my grief.  While going through the time was painful, my confidence in God’s love eventually led to a new understanding. 
The young girl that I was, would think that the current me is the next thing to a heathen.  Yet its been a journey of faith. 
Some folks I’ve known along the way have found these crises of faith too difficult to bear, and decided to just abandon all belief in God, and leave church altogether.  Their anger at God for not fitting the box they had put God in, was deep. They couldn’t see that they had put God in a box, and limited what God does and who God is.  When their experiences in life didn’t fit, they chose to quit.  At least for the present - God doesn’t give up on people.  Growth and new life is always possible in God. 

In the apostle Paul’s letter to the believers in the city of Galatia, he uses the illustration of this kind of growth to explain how the gospel of Christ builds on the faith of Israel, as a young child’s thinking about rules gives way to a more mature vision of living in the grace of God in Jesus. I can come to this Scripture now, not taking it literally, and see that Paul was trying to explain both Christianity’s continuity with Judaism as well as its difference from Judaism.  I can se that taking his argument literally can lead to an anti-Semitism, or to making Judaism seem lesser, which us smarter people have surpassed.  Maybe at the beginning of Christianity this kind of thinking was necessary, just as the Protestant Reformers had to vilify the practices of the Roman Catholic churches when the two separated.  Like people who want to leave a relationship - or a church -  have to work up a head of steam and anger in order to leave, proving that they’re doing the more righteous thing. 
We have to be careful speaking of the faith of Israel here, not to say its childish or that Christianity surpasses it.  Judaism produced Jesus; his love for God and his insights into what God desired were formed within Judaism.  Jesus never left Judaism; he was a Jew when he was crucified and still a Jew when he was raised.  All Jesus’ early followers were Jews.  Judaism kept alive a faith in the One God, and formed many deeply faithful men and women in their relationship with God. Following the precepts of the Law, ie the rules, led reflective people to embrace a way of life with God that included and respected much arguing and debating over the meanings of the words of Scripture, and led to important explorations into science and the human condition. The world has indeed been blessed by Judaism, including the blessing who is Jesus.

Just as Jesus sought to purify the practice of faith in his day, so the apostle Paul seeks to explain Jesus’ vision of the kindom of God as one of welcome, oneness, mercy, grace, forgiveness and restoration of our distance from God.  Instead of approaching this through the Law, however, we are invited to approach God through gratitude, and through Jesus’ vision of the realm of God where righteousness and justice are done.  We might call it a paradigm shift in the way to approach God, which actually opens the way for us Gentiles to come to God and share in the abundance of love, forgiveness and welcome God has for humanity. 
Its not unlike the change in comprehension of a child to that of an adult. To me, it mainly feels like a different approach and perhaps a different order of understanding.  Judaism certainly includes all the words like mercy and grace and faith, even while it speaks of the Law as the disciplinarian.  Christianity starts with the love of God, the forgiveness of our sins and the restoration of our brokenness from God - and in our gratitude for this, we then take on new  behaviors fit for living in the kindom of God.  Its a different model.

The thing about faith is that its never static, never in a box, never totally understood, never practiced in its fullness.  We humans are limited by many things - our brain development, our emotional wounds, our tendency to go off on tangents, our willfulness and sinfulness, our places of  weakness where greed or envy pull us by the nose right off the true path.  We all have need to grow; and our whole lifetime isn’t long enough to overcome all that weighs us down. 
Lifelong Discipleship Formation” is the language that the Vital Congregations Initiative uses for this.  In their research, it was realized that persons of every age need the challenge and invitation to grow. Faith can’t stay at the same level from childhood to adulthood - it is faith all the time, of course, not lesser or greater; it just changes in its understanding and its application as our living gets more complex.  Vital churches recognize that all people need to continue the journey with God, from learning facts and stories and the book of the Bible in order perhaps, then pondering its meaning, then living it in all its implications for life.  We might know the story of Pentecost, for example, about the Holy Spirit coming on those Christ-followers gathered in the upper room praying, which is not the same as feeling guided by that same Spirit into mission and ministry ourselves, and then opening ourselves to follow and do it.   

    Paul’s example in this text has to do with the transformation of how our rules that divide humanity are now subsumed under the great vision of God’s kindom, that we all become one in Christ; that as Christ’s body now, these divisions are dissolved.  Not that we don’t stay male and female, or black or white, or Mexican or Asian, or Jew and Gentile, or tone deaf or athletic - its that, now that we’re all believing in Christ, divisions are overcome with love.  Former divisions don’t have anything to do with being called to serve God. Distinctions that matter in the world have nothing to do with who is more important in Christ, who is better in Christ, who is able to serve God.  Our relationships with one another are transformed in love.  Living in God’s kindom, everything is different from what it was before.  Being in Christ makes a huge difference in everything - our values, our behaviors, our goals, our world view, what we see as good, what we see as important. 
Its even more difficult to live in the kindom of God without those rules, so the church attempts to put them back in on a pretty regular basis.  To standardize things, to regulate things, to see who’s doing it right or better, whoops - we hear our need to win coming in….  Responding to God in gratitude and love often needs to be worked out again and again, as different eras challenge different accepted truths that may be more cultural than faithful. We need to keep growing, because like we Presbyterians say, we are reformed yet always being reformed as the spirit leads. 
This expectation of continued growth and study needs to be a mark of our faith. There is more to see and learn in the Scriptures than we see when we were younger - growing in faith is not limited. This is the message of the text from Galatians to us today - the invitation to see our oneness in Christ at a new level, to ponder again how being in Christ is different from being a good citizen or a nice person, to look at just how different this kindom of God is from what we’ve known in the world, and consider our own growth and maturity in our spiritual lives.  AMEN.




No comments:

Post a Comment