About Me

My photo
I've described my faith life as like one of those funnel gadgets, being raised in the extremely narrow end of fundamentalism, then moving into the gradually widening scope of the evangelical, through orthodox Reformed theology, and now probably more progressive. My journey is bringing me to become more human, more incarnated and more a citizen of the Kindom of God in the world God loves.

Monday, June 11, 2018

Bad News & Good News Pentecost 2-B 6/3/18


Re. Dr. Rebecca L. Kiser       
Bad News & Good News
Pentecost 2B,  June 3, 2018                                  1 Samuel 3:1-20        

The other day I read my first FB post that blames my Boomer generatio for the state of the world today.  At first I was rather cynical about it, but y’know, I suppose that happens in every succeeding generation. (I KNOW it happens in every succeeding presidency!)  My generation blamed our predecessors for being uptight about things that didn’t seem important to us; and further, not caring about things we thought were vital, like getting us out of the war in Vietnam.  We called them closed-minded, said they had muddied values and were hypocrites. So I guess I’m not surprised to see it happening again with this new generation.  In one sense, the world change rapidly these days, so the context of each generation differs. While in another sense, though, our deep values built on our Judeo-Christian heritage abide for all time, although perhaps interpreted differently through the lens of different eras.
I don’t for example, understand the life experiences that shaped those who endured two World Wars, and how living in that era formed them, because I came of age in the time of the hippies, Jesus People, civil rights demonstrations and anti-war protestors.  Although, as I age, I’ve been rethinking ideas that I’d accepted as the only possible way of looking at things.  My parents were raised through the Great Depression, but I’ve been a suburban, middle-class girl since birth.  My parents could say that they weren’t prejudiced and mean it, because they weren’t Archie Bunker; and they tried to talk politely and nicely to people. “But, you see, ‘those people’ are not like us and they prefer their own churches, and if they move in, our property values are affected.” They had no feeling that we need to learn to live together as equals. On the other hand, I and my generation admired and listened to Martin Luther King Jr at young ages, and wondered what was so bad about his vision.
I’ve lived long enough now to have watched various changes come and go in the church. When I grew up, new churches were built in middle-class neighborhoods, aimed at around 200 local members, which could support a pastor. The lots purchased by the denominations were only a few acres, meant to stay a medium size, and have parking for 1-car families.  Most wives were available during the week for women’s meetings, teaching Sunday School and other volunteering tasks.  We assumed that if we built it, they would come, and they did.  Church was part of the good, American life; men and women knew their roles; everybody had 2.4 children and Sunday Schools overflowed. Plans for bigger buildings were hatched.  Nowadays we wish we’d bought larger lots and allowed for multiple cars, we know it takes more people to support a pastor in this, and those neighborhood churches are floundering.
When I started as a preacher, spirituality was an unknown word – it sounded catholic, people said, o it sounded like spiritualism.  A mere 5 years after I was called in by the Committee on Ministry for talking about spirituality and spiritual direction, both those things became the new buzz words and the presbytery made a new committee for it & all the ‘with it’ people jumped on it.
The first time I was an Interim Pastor, I was told, “Just keep things going until the new pastor comes.” 6-7 years later that was wrong, and I needed to take the Interim Ministry training and learn the skills for Interim work, so I did. 10 years later I went to take the 2nd week of training and was told that so much had changed that I had to take week 1 again.  So I did.  This past spring when I went to sign up for week 2, I was told the content had changed again and was now called Transitional Ministry.  But they let me into week 2, thank goodness! 
It is true that new insights come from new leaders.  They can show us where we went too far in one direction, or missed a critical understanding.  For example, for a long time we assumed people had a choice whether to be gay or straight, so we encouraged them to “choose” a more mainstream straight life. Now we know scientifically that its not a choice, and that a certain number of people are born wired that way.  A constant minority, they can no more “choose” a different orientation that anyone else can.  Now we are more welcoming – well, some of us…
Again, for a long time, it never occurred to us that new industries and their methods of dumping chemicals in the seemingly inexhaustible ocean, or the breadth of the skies, would hurt anything.  That turned out to be very wrong, and the world and all its species, including us, is suffering under the impact of those oversights, or our blindness, whether inadvertent or intentional.  And we are realizing that stewardship of the Garden of earth is part of our faith.
We should have realized, though, that any change has repercussions, and thought more deeply, like indigenous people have done; and we should have realized that its human nature to be tricky and greedy and to find ways to exploit just about anything.  If we’d read our Bibles better and remembered that sin is real, we may have made better decisions.
Our Hebrew text about the call of Samuel is about this, to me – that is, the mixed relations of one generation to the upcoming one.  Eli is an aging priest who, after a good and faithful earlier life, has not fared well as a parent or priest in his older life.  In the preceding chapter, his sons are described as scoundrels who have no regard for God or the people, and are exploiting their position as priests. Scripture also says that the word of the Lord was rare in those days – those two things go together.  Meanwhile, a poor couple from up in the hills rejoiced over a much-desired son, Samuel, and presented him to the Temple as they had promised God to do - They were faithful to their vow.  And God was already starting a new thing in the child Samuel. 
Young Samuel doesn’t recognize the voice of God that he is truly hearing; he thinks its just Eli needing something, so he goes to be helpful.  He IS responding to what he is hearing, although he mistakes its source.  Scripture still calls him a boy.  He needs the direction of the elder priest Eli to learn how to be attentive, recognize God’s voice, and listen and respond.  “If God calls you again, say ‘Speak, Lord, for your servant hears.’”  Its like a grandparent to grandchild thing, age-wise.  Ironically, Eli still knows the LORD, even if he has not done well in restraining his sons or rebuking their errors.   Maybe Samuel is his second chance?  Maybe God is giving him another opportunity in his old age?
In a positive view of the interaction of the youth and the elder, young people can certainly hear God and discern the messages; and we elders can point them to God’s ways.  Elders can teach them to nurture their gifts, or how to work in the church organization; elders can pass along the wisdom gained by hard knocks and lessons; elders can share stories of how to walk the path of faith.  How to listen, how to care, how to discern the Scriptures, and support for the struggles.  How to test visions, and carry them out.  That’s the relationship functioning at its best.
At its worst, the elder generation can so hold on to their old ways that the new messages are stifled or ignored or shamed  - and resist youth’s message so hard that the Spirit of God is silenced or quenched; and the youth can be squelched, and the word of God lost. 
This story of Eli and Samuel is a mix, as so often life is.  Unfortunately, the message young Samuel hears from God is not an encouraging word… Because Eli has let all kinds of bad practices go on in the Temple, he and his family have incurred judgement, and will be wiped out.      Whew!  What a message for a young boy to hear!  He doesn’t want to reveal it – its bad news.
  Just so, the younger people in our country are speaking up to us about the bad news of school shootings affecting their lives, and judging us for how our generation has not dealt with certain problems.  They are looking for solutions to the mass of garbage floating in our oceans, that we’ve allowed to happen. They are naming where we have failed them. My generation asked for more authenticity, a good thing; this generation seems to be asking for more responsibility for life together, also a good thing.  It seems that people can’t get everything right at the same time.
To return to the story, Eli actually does know God and God’s voice.  What has happened in his life to bring him to this point? For all his – what - passivity? Fear?  Purposeful ignorance? Laziness?  for all his failures, he still knows God, and he is man enough to acknowledge that Samuel has heard God rightly.  Another prophet has recently come and told Eli the same thing.  ‘It is the Lord,’ Eli says. He knows the bad news is God.  Then he says, ‘Let God do what God intends.’ And at that point, I have to wonder why Eli doesn’t repent, change his ways and seek forgiveness - other groups and people in Scripture do just that, and are restored.  Like the people of Ninevah, for example.  Has Eli’s passivity even affected his faith? Has he given up trying? How did he get like this?
I admit to a lot of sympathy for Eli as the elder person.  Hard things happen in life, and many are not outcomes of bad choices, although some are.  I’ve known the reality of being exhausted trying to do right, holding on to what I know, and ready to give up.  I can imagine how difficult it would be to have my beloved children making horrible decisions – its hard work to learn how to not be an enabler.  So this story challenges me – am I like Eli?  Have there been truths I’ve known or visions I’ve been given that I’ve grown too tired to pursue?  Have I grown weary of well-doing, as Paul names it?  Have I abdicated my vision because things got difficult, and push-back too hard to deal with any more?  Well, yes.  Changes move so slowly, and there’s always lots of criticism and anger thrown around. In a way I have given up on some points – I still hold them, I’ve just stopped pushing. Will I be faithful to the promises I made, like Samuel’s parents, or collapse & be judged, like Eli? 
I find myself saying that at least I will listen for the emerging voices of the younger persons of faith and support them, help be the bridge for their vision.  That sounds noble – until I read this story of Eli and wonder if perhaps his tiredness of struggling is like mine, and I have given up too soon, and just moved my hope to the next generation.  Have I given up the struggle of the desert when we’re actually just one mile from the oasis?

So I hear a variety of messages in this story of the aging Eli and the young Samuel.  There’s a message of judgement on the failures even of a person who yet does still know God; and even recognizes it in Samuel. 
Then there’s the message of hope that God is still working for us even in raising up Samuel.  Certainly we as the older generations want to encourage the new generation of the faithful, and not stifle the Spirit in them.  While not everything new is necessarily good by virtue of its newness, not everything old is stellar, either, by virtue of being tradition.  There’s a give and take, a listening and a welcoming as well as an appreciation of wisdom handed down.  There’s a balance somewhere.  I hope that as a congregation and as a whole Church, we are open to discernment, looking to our own responsibilities while also listening for what God is doing. AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment